Monday 21 July 2014

Google Books

Publishing to Google Books was painful.  First, the mixture of my managed domains and personal email confused Google to not let me create a publishing account.  I could not figure out what services to turn on in the managed domain to fix it.  So I did get it going via my gmail account.  However, the new vendor registration does not work with Chrome!  Fortunately for me Internet Explorer understood the HTML/Javascript under the hood, and I was able to set up an account.  But Google wants you to fill in a lot of extra information for the book, including the BISAC code (found via the internet.)  I was not able to fill in the Vendor information without saying I was a company with a personal benefactor, at which point it let me enter my ITIN.  There is other weirdness; the currency conversion.

Wow.  About 1.5 hours to figure it all out for one story.  And now I wait to see if it makes the Play store.

I am now starting to worry about accounting.  I take it if I ever make money on this, I will need to tell Revenue Canada, but that is a problem I'd like to have.

Books via Google are PDF.  That's a good thing.  Not sure how DRM works here though.

*** UPDATE ***

Supposedly the first story is now live on Google Books and Play.  However, it does not appear in the search.  That is not helpful.

*** UPDATE ***

Google told me today it can take weeks to appear on the store.  But my new problem is my last two stories are being rejected due to low quality PDF.  PDF output is the same as my first book; publish, high quality, standard font.  Not much information as to what the issue is but Bianca ,the nice lady on the other end, said she would put them through manually.


No comments:

Post a Comment