Wednesday 6 August 2014

Smackdown!

Smackdown has finished its third edit.  And it is not done.  Though I am happier with this version over previous versions, my supporting wife tells me there is too much going on and it is still too technical.  She suggested I put more comedic examples in of how Alan is inept, and maybe use it as an opportunity to explain some of the technical jargon.

She also finds the references to the MMORPG not well aligned with the story line.  Chris too thought this was dangling (and wanted more, so that would mean a dedicated story, or more inline references.  Its hard enough to explain what an Epic is let alone a game like EQ or WoW.)  And my editor also had some comments here...  So this aspect of the Mark's character is going away.  Leave that humor to The Guild.  Goodbye to the following verbiage.

... was home in time to attend the Epic Raid my guild-mates had planned for the day.  The game was a classic “Skinner Box.”  A friend had bought me this massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) just after graduation and I was quickly addicted.  Players organized into groups called guilds. Several of the folks in my guild were in the United States military.  They didn’t seem to sleep so there was always someone online to play with or talk to.  Accomplishing things in the game seemed to go better than in real life (IRL).   An Epic Raid is one of those events in the game that literally takes months to jump through all the hoops required, and all of your guild-mates help, to get bits and pieces for super rare weapons and armor that only your character can use.  The game took more time and effort than the job; I was over forty hours a week in game time.
.... In passing conversation I discovered Paul played the game too and had a character far superior to my own.  He’d even completed his epic.

.... Losing myself in my Epic Raid game when I got home was much simpler than what I was doing at work. There was no client to keep happy. The team in-game works because they want to play together to achieve common objectives. And you can never work outside the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment